Pages

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Liendo Plantation -- A Real Texas Plantation




One of the things I love about writing historical fiction is the research! I positively adore immersing myself in history, usually from the nineteenth century. I especially enjoy it if I can work in a research trip. Whether it's to a pioneer farm, a museum, or an old West fort, I'm always ready for a road-trip! Thankfully, my fabulous chauffeur (aka my sweet hubby!) is a willing participant.

While writing The Planter's Daughter, we visited Liendo Plantation, located in Hempstead,Texas, about 4 hours from where we live in the hill country. The plantation house is privately owned, but the owner graciously opens it to the public once a month for tours. On the weekend before Thanksgiving they have a Civil War re-enactment on the grounds with vendors, food, and a ton of fun!

Since you can't join me on a research trip, I thought I'd share some of my pictures of the plantation with you. Readers of The Planter's Daughter might recognize the house from the description of the fictional Rose Hill Manor I use in the book with a few minor changes.

Liendo Plantation house was built by slaves in 1853. The porch on Rose Hill Manor
wraps all the way around, but I can still envision Adella Rose standing on 
this porch, can't you? 

The back of the house. Again, the porch on Rose Hill Manor would have circled
the entire bottom floor. Also, the kitchen is detached from the main house
in the book. 

Guests attending the pre-wedding gala for George & Natalie might have sat
here to catch a cool breeze

The brick wall fascinated me. I kept imagining
slaves laboring over the laying of each brick.

This reminds me of the scene where Adella Rose
is sitting on the porch with her family one evening.
Her father does something that shocks her.

Readers, can't you picture Adella Rose hurrying
down these steps, barefoot of course, to greet
her father in Chapter One?

Even though I don't have a peacock in
The Planter's Daughter, I thought this guy was
beautiful!


























This is an actual slave cabin. Jeptha, Mammy, and the other Rose Hill slaves would
have had very crowded living conditions, considering there were nearly
one hundred slaves on the plantation.


Perhaps some of the guests who attend George & Natalie's
wedding looked like this.

I hope you enjoyed your brief research trip back to 1859 Texas. I've included lots of historical details about Texas, plantations, and slavery in The Planter's Daughter. If you haven't purchased your copy yet, click here and experience what life was like on a Texas plantation through the lives of Adella Rose, Seth, Jeptha, and more! It's getting lots of 5-stars on Amazon and Goodreads, and many readers say it's a "page-turner-can't-put-it-down" kind of book!


Happy reading!

~Michelle

2 comments:

Gail Kittleson said...

Thanks, Michelle. Such a great post, and the photos ignite my interest in visiting!

Michelle Shocklee said...

Gail, I'm glad you enjoyed them! Definitely visit Liendo if you get the opportunity, particularly for their Civil War weekend! Thanks for stopping by the blog! Have a great day! :D