Sunday, December 15, 2019

A Christmas Gift for Readers of The Planter's Daughter

Merry Christmas from 
My House to Yours! 



I hope this finds each of you ready to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!  May joy fill your homes and hearts throughout the Season!

I want to thank you, dear Readers, for your continued enthusiasm for The Planter's Daughter, the first book in The Women of Rose Hill historical series. Your many 5-star reviews, your emails, and your sharing about the book warm my heart. The themes in the book --- Freedom, Redemption, and Forgiveness---are also what Christmas is all about, so I wanted to give you something many of you have asked for: An Epilogue! A letter from Adella Rose has winged its way across time, and in it she shares about the Brantleys first Christmas in Oregon and gives clues about some of the characters you've wondered about. Enjoy! (Remember, you can also find out what happens next in The Widow of Rose Hill, book two!)

Merry Christmas!

~Michelle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 24, 1860

Dearest Natalie,

Christmas greetings, Sister. I hope this finds you and those we love well. Thank you for your letter. Papa Brantley sent it once we settled here in our new home. I am ever so sorry to hear that Papa and George's anger against me continues, but I am grateful to know I can trust you with full confidence. If Papa knew where to find us, I fear what might happen. I pray someday my father and brother will understand why I made the choices I did.

Our happiness in this new life abounds. We've purchased a lovely parcel of land, with timber and a creek. Our new neighbors helped Seth in building a snug cabin and a barn as big as Texas. The community is new and full of hope and excitement. We now have ten wild mustangs, and Freedom will soon be a father. Seth hopes to build the herd and has already received offers from interested buyers, as strong horses are much in need. The land here is rich and fertile and everything from animal to human seems to thrive. God is so gracious to us.

We are making ready for our first Christmas in Oregon. Seth brought in a tree, and Mara and I have enjoyed decorating it with ribbon and stringed berries. She continues to thrive and is such a happy, sweet girl. I've shared our secret with her, although I don't expect she understands that a new baby will arrive in the spring. So many changes will take place in the new year, but I look ahead with much peace and anticipation.

We've heard from our friend on the Mexican border with news of Jeptha, Zina, and Aunt Lu. They've settled into a community and are well, for which we are ever so grateful. How I pray Mr. Lincoln will be able to abolish slavery once he takes office and can work to bring freedom to all. I firmly believe, dear Natalie, that Rose Hill would continue to prosper if Papa and George would listen to their hearts and free those enslaved. There are many free black men here in Oregon, and our hope is one day Jeptha and his family can come here to live and join Seth in raising and training horses. Until slavery is abolished, however, it would be far too dangerous.

Dearest Natalie, my heart's prayer is for your happiness. I sincerely hope you and George find it together. You may continue to write to me in care of Papa Brantley and he will see that I receive your letters. In this way, you may remain ignorant of our location should my father or George ask. Please give my love to Carolina, Mammy, and the others who remember me fondly.

Your Sister,

Adella Rose Brantely

No comments: