Sunday, April 13, 2008

Life with Jesus...

We received some truly wonderful news this week! One of my husband's friend's from work, John, gave his life to the Lord! We've prayed for John and his wife for many years. John has been one of Brian's friends for going on twenty years. While we don't socialize a lot with them, we've celebrated Longhorn football games, the 4th of July, and other fun days with them and other mutual friends over the years. John also used to go on the annual fishing trip with my hubby, but hasn't in the last few years.

John's story is not unique. It took a really bad situation to open his eyes to what he really needed, which was Jesus. But the angels rejoice when one of us earthly beings finally throw our hands up and say, "Help me, Lord! No one can save me but Jesus!" It doesn't matter if we come to him softly during a church serivce or crying and screaming because life is just too hard. The important part is not HOW we come, but just that we COME!!

I shared with John something I've learned recently through one of our pastor's amazing messages. Most of us are familiar with the prodigal son story in Luke 15. It's a wonderful story of God the Father's love for us, his ever prodigal children. Verse 17, however, says something that truly made an impression on me. The NIV version says, "When he came to his senses...." When the prodigal son came to his senses he returned to his father. Our pastor said, "The greatest day in our lives is when we come to our senses." Amen!!

I'm thankful I came to my senses back in 1992. I'd been raised in a Christian home, went to church everytime the doors were open, and even attended a Christian college. But I didn't really know my Lord and Savior at that point. I knew a lot ABOUT him, but I didn't have a relationship with Him. How glad I am Jesus was patient and waited for me to come to my senses.

I've got other people in my life I'm praying will come to their senses. But thankfully I can scratch John off that list!

No comments: