Thursday, August 21, 2008

Life in Zechariah's day...

So I started reading the book of Zechariah today. I noticed in the notes in the beginning of the book that chapters 9 through 14 tell of the coming Messiah, the last judgement and the long range growth of the final kingdom. That ought to be really interesting!!!

But a few verses stood out to me today as I read Chapter 1. They seemed to solidify what I posted last time about sin and disobedience. Verses 3-6 say:

This is what the Lord Almighty says: "Return to me,' declares the Lord Almighty, 'and I will return to you,' says the Lord Almighty. Do not be like your forefathers, to whom the earlier prophets proclaimed: This is what the Lord Almighty says: 'Turn from your evil ways and your evil practices.' But they would not listen or pay attention to me, declares the Lord. Where are your forefathers now? And the prophets, do they live forever? But did not my words and my decrees, which I commanded my servants the prophets, overtake your forefathers?

God did not, does not, and will not tolerate sin. Period. He allowed all sorts of calamities to befall His people over the hundreds of years the Old Testament spans. We can certainly learn from their experiences.

God's question, "Where are your forefathers now? Do they live forever?" should make it clear to all of us that no one lives forever! God didn't even allow His chosen people and chosen prophets to live forever. We can do and please as we want on earth, but our lives will come to an end. What then?

God says His words and His decrees overtook everyone who lived back in the day. Everyone! Not one person can out-live God's words and His commands. So wouldn't it be wise to listen and obey?!

No comments: