Thursday, January 29, 2009

My favorite sayings these days....

I actually have two things I say a lot these days:

It could always be worse.

and

This world is not my home.

Life is hard. There's no question about it. Sometimes we make it harder than it needs to be, but sometimes we're simply handed problems and issues that make it hard.

Our family has been unwillingly caught in the mess we're calling a recession. My husband lost his job in November and there are no new jobs in sight at the moment. Does that scare me? Sure, but not in a panicky kind of way. I'm trusting God to take care of us. He always has, so why should I doubt Him now? This is where my "It could always be worse" motto comes into play. It truly could be worse. Hopefully it won't get there, but ya never know. But right now, we're doing okay.

When I turn on my TV, bad news is everywhere. There's the recession and job losses and bankruptcies and trillion dollar deficits and people losing their homes and people killing themselves and their families. There are stories of awful crimes that don't have anything to do with the recession, like murders, rapes, and child molesting. There's even a sick story about a young woman selling her virginity to the highest bidder.

That's where the "This world is not my home" saying comes into play. THANK GOD this world is NOT my home!!! If this was all there was to look forward to, I'd be the most depressed person alive!

My real home is heaven. As I've explained it to my kids over the years, our lives here on earth are temporary. We're really just visiting this place until we go to our real home. It's similar to modern-day missionaries. They go live in other places to serve the Lord, but it's not really their home. I've been privileged to personally know three families who have served in other countries--two who continue to serve today. They will all tell you that while they love the countries they're serving and may even live there for years and years, it's not really their home.

That's how I feel about life on earth.

No comments: