Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Are you wearing your armor??? Part One

This blog post is one I wrote in July 2009. Because the Armor of God is on my mind these days, I thought I'd re-post it and another tomorrow. Because one thing that hasn't changed in those two-and-a-half years is this:

"Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8

Be prepared!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hubby and I were at Southwestern University today and ran across a display of really old, cool relics! Guns, cannons, Conquistador helmets. There was even a small replica of a full suit of armor. Neat stuff, if you love history like me.

Seeing that armor reminded me of the verses in Ephesians 6:10-17. Paul is writing to encourage the church in Ephesus (and us!) and admonishing them to "be strong in the Lord and his mighty power." (v. 10)

In my Bible, those verses appear on page 1824. And it's reeeeally easy to find. Ya know why? Because tucked between pages 1824 and 1825 I have a square of paper--about 2.5 X 3--with the most pathetic drawing of a "soldier" on it. It looks like a 1st grader drew it, but, alas, I have to confess I am the artist. Yes, that's it to the right. I've posted it here for all the world to see. Laugh if you will (and you probably will!), but that crude drawing has taught me some amazing truths over the years!

In this world, we WILL face battles! And we can't possibly win the battles if we're not wearing our armor! Read verses 11 and 12 and you'll know why. "Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Man, oh man!!

Did you catch that? We're not struggling against each other, although it feels like it sometimes. We're fighting against a much more powerful opposition! Satan himself! And I don't know about you, but I've long come to the understanding that Satan does not want me to be happy or successful or peaceful!! And because I believe that is true with all my heart--and have experienced his attacks!-- I would be absolutely foolish to go out into the world without my armor!

So for the next couple days, I think I'll write about The Armor of God, how important it is in our lives, and some of the lessons I've learned over the years, both from times I was not wearing my armor and from times when I was. I know I need to be reminded about this myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Prayer Shout-Out countries are:
USA, United Kingdom, Sweden, Russia, Poland, Romania, Ukraine

No comments: