Wednesday, July 1, 2009

God, Me and the ACFW Conference...

I've been working on my "one-sheets" for the ACFW conference that is coming up in September. (A "one-sheet", also known as a "pitch sheet", is a back-of-the-book blurb about my book and info about me.) Sure, September seems like it's a ways off, but today is July 1st!! The year is simply flying! September will be here before I know it.

Once again, God is allowing me to go to the conference. He made a way for me to go and I'm so grateful. I love going to the conference, especially when it's in Denver! Not only is it a chance to spend time with fellow believers who are also writers, editors and agents, but I get to see my wondrous Rocky Mountains!

If you keep up with my blog, then you might remember that God made a way for me to go to the conference in Minneapolis last year. While I was there I met with several editors--all of whom requested I send them a proposal for my historical series--and an agent, Les Stobbe. Shortly after the conference I signed with Les. In April, Les sent my proposals out. We've only heard back from two: one will get to it when she can, and the other liked it enough to request the full manuscript. YAY! We're playing the waiting game now.

I can't help but wonder why God has me going to the conference this year. I hadn't expected to go. Since hubby went through a job loss and a job gain in the past 8 months, money is tight. Real tight. Spending upwards of $1,000 on the conference (flight, hotel, conf. fee) is not doable. Not in the least. Add to that our oldest son graduating, moving to Dallas, and starting college, we're doing good to just make ends meet!

So when God gifted me with a way to the conference--all expenses paid--I felt overwhelmed. "Why, God?" I keep asking. What is the purpose of me going? I've signed with an agent. I have a full manuscript out and proposals making the rounds. My latest book is barely in proposal stage. My other complete historical needs a ton of work to get up to speed.

Why is God sending me to the conference?!

That, my friends, is my goal for the next 11 weeks! I am determined to seek out the reason God wants me there. Is it for my writing? Is it for my spiritual growth? Is it to encourage someone else? I don't know, but I'm excited about discovering the purpose in it all!! And you better believe the first place I'll begin my search is on my knees!

God has always, always, always been so good to me! I love Him with all my heart!

1 comment:

Michelle Shocklee said...

Tuesday, July 7: God revealed one of the reasons He's sending me to the conference today. While I'm not thrilled with this reason, I am nonetheless thankful that He knew beforehand and had already made arrangements to help with the situation. I continue to seek Him! ~M.