Saturday, October 31, 2009

"Impress them on your Children"

Almost nineteen years ago God allowed me to become a Mother. All these years later I still find that unbelievable! Me? A Mother?? I don't have the wisdom! I don't know what I'm doing! But, somehow, my boys continue to grow and become young men despite all my faults and failures as their Mother. You learn as you go. Yes, sometimes I make mistakes, but I can't give up. I'm their Mother. The only woman in the entire world who can claim that honor!

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 are verses that speak to me as a Mother. I have them highlighted in my Bible from years ago. I also keep a picture of my boys between these pages as a reminder of my responsibility as their Mother. Moses may have been talking to the Israelites when he spoke these words, but God made sure they were included in the Bible, His Word, so that we--so that I!--would read them and take them to heart. Because if I don't, then I believe it would be my biggest failure of all!

I'll share those verses here, first from the NIV (New International Version) and then from the Message. I'll let them speak for themselves.

"Hear O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."

"Attention, Israel! God, our God! God the one and only! Love God, your God, with your whole heart: love him with all that's in you, love him with all you've got!Write these commandments that I've given you today on your hearts. Get them inside of you and then get them inside your children. Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street, talk about them from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night. Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder, inscribe them on the doorposts of your homes and on your city gates."

Hear, O Israel.

Hear, O Mothers and Fathers.

No comments: