Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Not Our Ways...

I'm feeling kinda blue today. Not only did I experience a night full of crummy, disturbing dreams, but I woke to find bad news all over the place.

A sweet friend from my writers' group was diagnosed with ovarian cancer yesterday.

A 15 yr. old girl killed herself because of cyber bullying.

The body of a missing college student was found in a field.

The people in Haiti continue to suffer.

On and on. Bad news is everywhere. I don't know about you, but these kinds of things make me cry out to God, "WHY, Lord?! WHY?"

I don't have the answer.

This morning as I was crying out to Him, God reminded me of something.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways," declares the Lord."

Those are the words of God in Isaiah 55:8.

What He's telling me is that I don't think like God. Neither do you. We won't ever understand why things happen, especially bad things. But if you keep reading that passage, you do begin to see things a little more clearly. You do see that God has things under control.

"'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth. It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:8-11

Rain and snow fall from the sky. It serves a purpose. Plants, animals and people all benefit from rain. The world is changed because of rain.

In this verse, God likens His word to rain. It serves a purpose. Everything benefits from it. The world is changed because of it.

I've often wondered why God doesn't allow believers in Him to lead perfect, trouble-free lives once we accept Jesus as our Savior. I mean, wouldn't that be the greatest living testimony ever? Let Jesus into your heart and never have another moment of worry on earth! Great, huh?

No. I realized that wouldn't be a good plan at all. God has so much more to offer us through His Son than trouble-free days! Jesus himself said, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!"

We won't ever truly understand why bad things happen. His ways are not our ways. But lest you lose hope, remember this:

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelation 21:4

No comments: