Monday, February 8, 2010

That Pesky Thing Called Patience

Patience.

I don't have a lot of that precious commodity. I wish I did. It would sure come in handy on a daily basis! I could truly use more patience when I'm driving! Or dealing with my teenagers. Working with my elderly clients. Standing in line. Apparently God wants me to learn about it, too, 'cuz He is constantly giving me lessons in it!!

There are quite a few biblical examples of impatient people. Abraham and Sarah certainly come to mind. Gee, think of how nice it would be if we didn't have to deal with Ishmael's descendants! Adam and Eve didn't practice patience. David. Peter. If anything, I'm in good company when I declare myself an impatient person.

Saul didn't have a lot of it either. 1 Samuel 13 tells the story of Saul's impatience and the consequences. In a nutshell, Saul has readied his troops for battle against the Philistines. Samuel, however, is tardy. He was supposed to meet Saul after seven days and he hasn't shown up. The troops are "quaking with fear" so Saul decides to take matters into his own hands.

Sound familiar?

I don't know about you, but I can think of plenty of times in my life where I've grown impatient with God and taken matters into my own hands. Sometimes things worked out--by the Grace of God, no doubt. But more often than not, they didn't.

Saul's offense may not seem so bad. All he did was offer God the sacrifices himself instead of waiting for Samuel, the priest. I mean, he was giving God the recognition and worship He desires, right? Wrong. Making excuses for disobedience only makes the situation worse. Samuel tells Saul in no uncertain terms that he blew it. (13:13-14)

I've come to understand that impatience is a form of disobedience. And we all know being disobedient is not good! I am currently waiting for something. Something I've wanted for a very long time. I truly believe I'm in God's will wanting this, but I also fully understand it will happen in His timing. I've had a couple of opportunities to rush this thing. I truly considered one of them. Thankfully, God impressed upon me to wait and I did, amazingly.

Like I said, I'm not a patient person...but I'm not a stupid person either. I see that God has a plan in all of this waiting. Waiting has its own purpose. And it's far better to wait on God's perfect plan than to try to create a flawed one of my own.

"Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." Psalm 27:14.

That verse is highlighted in my Bible! Ack! If only I would live it!!

No comments: