Monday, March 15, 2010

Belief System: What is yours built on?

Here is a definition I found on the Internet for "Belief System":

A combination of ideas, values, and practices that serve a society's cultural needs. Belief systems include all religions, as well as philosophical, ethical, and moral systems.

I would agree. Pretty straightforward, no?

I would also say that most people have some sort of "belief system" in place. Mine happens to built on the foundation of the Bible. Yours may be something else entirely. I'm not here to debate the origins, but rather I want to get down to the nitty-gritty of the beliefs themselves.

Why?

Because I read an article today on CNN.com that has a quote that simply boggles my mind. Rielle Hunter, the former mistress of Sen. John Edwards, is quoted by GQ magazine as saying the following in regards to lying about who the father of her baby is:

"I was on the couch pregnant, and I just felt like I… it was devastating for me, because it went against all of my belief systems. And to go along with this insane plan… but I eventually made the choice to do it," she said.

OK. First of all, understand that I am not here to judge Ms. Hunter. Goodness knows we've all made terrible mistakes and choices in our lives. Certainly having an affair with a married man, whose wife has cancer no less, ranks right up there. I am not here to throw a stone at Ms. Hunter.

But...

I have to say I am completely confused about Ms. Hunter's "belief system" at this point. As I said, she chose to have an affair with a married man whose wife had cancer. I can't say for certain, but I feel it's a safe bet that lies were told during the affair. To Mrs. Edwards. To his children. To friends. To family. To the campaign staff. To the media. To the public.

Lying is at the very heart of an affair. The whole relationship is built on lies.

I guess I'm wondering what "belief system" she's talking about. It obviously doesn't include adultery and only includes lies that you don't want to tell.

I would venture a guess that Ms. Hunter's "belief system" is flawed. From where I'm sitting, it seems more like it's built on the slippery slope of "whatever feels good at the time" rather than a solid foundation of core beliefs. Sadly, a lot of lives were affected by her choices.

But we've all been on that slope. Like I said, I am not here to throw a stone at Ms. Hunter. It's just that her mistakes and her statement about her belief system are public knowledge.

Yet despite the public judgement and opinions of people like me, Ms. Hunter continues to have a choice. It's the same choice we all have: Stay on that slippery slope or seek a solid foundation for her belief system.

My choice was to seek forgiveness from the only One who can give it and get off the slope! My prayer is Ms. Hunter (and Sen. Edwards) will too.

What about you?

What is your "belief system" built on?

No comments: