Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Chariots of Fire: Not Just a Movie

A few days ago I was struck with this thought:

There is so much going on in the world beyond our little human daily lives! And most people don't even know it!

Why did I have this 'revelation' type thought?

Because I'm reading in 2 Kings these days. Elijah and Elisha, both prophets of God, are the main characters. Both men have encounters with "chariots of fire" that are pretty incredible!

In 2 Kings 2:11 we read about Elijah's home-going:

"As [Elijah and Elisha] were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind."

Can you imagine? How awesome would it be to be swept away to heaven in a chariot of fire?! Wow!

The next time we see chariots of fire is in 2 Kings 6:12. The king of Aram is at war with Israel and the prophet Elisha keeps thwarting his attacks by warning the king of Israel. The Aramean king is furious and sends his officers and troops to the city where Elisha is staying. They surround the city in the dark of night, waiting for daylight so they can kill Elisha. Elisha's servant wakes up and sees what's going on. He hurries to wake Elisha. "What shall we do?" he asks.

The next verses are truly amazing! I literally cried the other morning as I read them because of the awesomeness of God!

"Don't be afraid," the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them." And Elisha prayed, "O Lord, open [my servant's] eyes so he may see." Then the Lord opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha." 2 Kings 6:16-17

THAT. IS. SO. COOL!!!!

I was suddenly and wonderfully struck with the knowledge that there are things going on in this world--heavenly, Godly, supernatural things!!--that we don't see! Sure, I know there are angels at work all around us, but God made that truth so very real to me through this scripture. Can't you just see it? The hills "full" of flaming horses and chariots, just waiting for the command to defeat the enemy? Can't you just hear Elisha's calm voice telling his friend there are more warriors on their side than there are on the enemy's side?

But alas, we are usually like the servant. All we see are the daily problems of life. Bills. Health problems. Wayward kids. Marriage troubles. Whatever life has thrown at us. I can say from experience, sometimes it feels like an army of trouble has surrounded my house and is lying in wait to bring me and my family down. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

But then Elisha prayed, "Lord, open his eyes." Show him that God is in control! That God has a plan! That God is awesome and powerful and no problem is too great for God to handle!!

Notice that Elisha already knew the angel army was there before he prayed. God already had things under control. It was the servant who needed his faith restored.

When problems and the heaviness of life come at me, I'm going to pray that God will open my eyes! Because I am absolutely convinced that God already knows what I'm going to face and already has the solution worked out.

To God be the glory!!

No comments: