Saturday, December 4, 2010

Christmas Blog Post #4: I Believe!

I watched one of my favorite Christmas movies last night! Polar Express! I love that movie! Wouldn't that be something to be picked up by a magical train on Christmas Eve and ride all the way to the North Pole? =)

But the thing I really love about Polar Express is the allegory element of the story. Obviously I don't know the writers nor do I declare they meant to write it as an allegory, but the parallels in Polar Express to the Christian faith are impossible to ignore.

First, there's the little boy. The main character in the story. He is losing his faith in Santa Claus. Everywhere he looks, there is "proof" that Santa doesn't exist. Doesn't that sound exactly like the world today? People have lost faith in God and in Jesus. They demand "proof" that He exists. Faith is simply not enough for them. Believing in God is like believing in Santa Claus. It's silly. It's ridiculous. The whole thing is a myth.

Next we have the conductor. His main job is to make sure the train load of children get safely to the North Pole where they will meet Santa. He's helpful. He's fatherly. He makes sure they're warm and fed. He teaches them lessons. Without him and his wisdom, the kids would've been lost. Who does that remind you of?

Then, of course, there's Santa himself. The big guy! The one all the elves can't wait to see and cheer for. It truly makes me smile when I envision heaven just like that scene in the movie where the doors open and Santa comes out! The elves and the reindeer go crazy!! If you don't know what I'm talking about, read Revelation 5:11-12 and you'll see what I mean.

The mysterious man-ghost who rides the roof of the train could represent the Holy Spirit. He guides the boy. He saves his life when he's in danger. How thankful I am each and every day for a guiding Spirit in my life!

The boy's journey to the North Pole is very much like our lives. There are obstacles. Bad things happen. Good things happen. We get lost. We meet people along the way that either help us or hinder us. We're aboard this train of life, not really sure where it's taking us but going along for the ride anyway. In the end, however, it comes down to one simple choice:

Do you believe or don't you?

The little boy heard the reindeer's jingle bell the moment he believed. You probably won't hear bells when you accept Jesus as your Savior, but I guaranty you will hear the sound of trumpets on the day He returns from heaven! That is a sound you DO NOT want to miss!!

No comments: