Sunday, February 6, 2011

I Support Chick-fil-A



Eat mor chikin!

Chick-fil-A was founded by a man named S. Truett Cathy in 1946. You can Google Mr. Cathy and read all about him, so I won't get into all of that here. But one thing I do want to point out is that Mr. Cathy has never, ever hidden the fact that he is a Christian businessman. He has never, ever hidden the fact that Chick-fil-A was founded and built upon Christian principals. All of his restaurants are closed on Sundays to allow employees a time to worship and be with their families. Hobby Lobby, the art supply chain, also closes on Sundays for the same reasons. Chick-fil-A and Mr. Cathy have donated millions upon millions of dollars to needy children, to furthering education through scholarships, and the Cathy family has opened their home and their hearts to over 150 foster children. Our country--our world!--needs more businessmen like Truett Cathy!

Recently, however, Chick-fil-A has come under fire by an organization called The Human Rights Campaign. They claim the company and its founders are "anti-gay" because they support traditional marriage and provide food to organizations supporting marriage, marriage conferences and retreats, and the like.

First of all, Chick-fil-A is a privately owned company founded on Christian principals. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon (ha!) to figure out that they will probably support organizations and gatherings that fall into the category of traditional family, which is, of course, their right.

Secondly, I believe the Constitution allows all of us the right to Free Speech. You don't have to agree with my speech, but I have every right to speak it. Just as gay people have the right to their speech. I don't agree with them, but I certainly have no right to silence them based on my beliefs.

Thirdly, Chick-fil-A is not anti-gay. The president and founders are Christians with Bible-based beliefs about marriage. They are pro-traditional marriage. Same as me. If you call me anti-gay because of my pro-traditional marriage stance, I may have to slug you in the arm. I happen to love someone who is gay. I'm not anti-anybody.

What aggravates me is this: The Human Rights Campaign and any other pro-gay groups are free to host a conference and have a restaurant donate the food. That's their right. Should I and other Christians boycott that restaurant and call the Human Rights people anti-heterosexual?

{picture me rolling my eyes}

The Human Rights Campaign is fighting for equal rights for the LGBT community. And I get it. I really do. But what about Chick-fil-A's "equal rights" to donate food to whomever they want? What about their founder's and president's rights to believe traditional marriage is right and good?

Apparently only if you agree with THRC are you allowed equal rights.

My family loves Chick-fil-A! You can bet we'll be eating mor chikin at our house!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE: July 25, 2012

Chick-fil-A is once again under fire by organizations and businesses who don't agree with their stance in support of traditional marriage. Recently, Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy spoke his feelings about gay marriage and God's judgement, which is absolutely his right as a human being, an American, and a Christian businessman. However, in response to his statement, the Hensen toy company ended their business relationship with Chick-fil-A. And, once again, the Human Rights people are calling for boycotts of the fast food restaurant, and the mayor's of several cities are trying to block the franchise from coming to their city -- which is not their job! -- and on and on.

To show our support of Mr. Cathy and Chick-fil-A, our family will join the millions of other supporters on Wednesday, August 1 for "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day." Eat mor chikin' at your local Chick-fil-A that day!

Heck, we didn't even wait for August 1. We had dinner there last night!

No comments: