Monday, May 16, 2011

"...and God was hovering..."

Is God hovering over you?

You may have never thought of His presence like that. I hadn't until recently. Our wonderfully gifted pastor, Joe Champion of Celebration Church, is teaching/preaching a series called Genesis. Genesis 1 describes the beginning of everything. If you wanna know where you came from, read it!

In the New International Version Bible, verse 2 reads: "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

The King James reads: "And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

The Message reads: "God's Spirit brooded like a bird above the watery abyss."

As a writer, I pay very close attention to words. And I'll tell ya...the words "hovering" "moving" and "brooding" have really captured my attention lately!

More than anything, I want God to hover over me! I want Him to move upon my life! And I definitely want Him to brood above me. Because when one broods---ponders or thinks deeply---change usually follows.

We have a lot going on in our lives right now. Both our sons are making important life-decisions. Hubby and I are pondering what's next for us now that our boys will both be in college.

But I'll tell you something.

I don't want to make one decision...make one move!...without God hovering over us! I want Him right there in the middle of things, directing, guiding, shining his Light on our path.

If God is not hovering over you, you are like the earth way back when. Formless, empty, dark. But it doesn't have to stay that way. Ask God in. Ask Him to hover over you. Ask him to move and to brood.

You'll have a new beginning. You'll have a Genesis moment!

2 comments:

Anita said...

I want God to hover over my life, too. Thanks for a thought-provoking post!

Michelle Shocklee said...

Thanks, Anita! It's a cool concept, huh? =)

Blessings,
~Michelle Shocklee