Thursday, June 16, 2011

More Body Parts

Seems I'm not alone in my war on cleavage. And lest anyone think I'm singling out and/or scolding women who simply can't help the fact that they have large breasts, I'm not. My war is against those who purposefully leave their 'girls' exposed for all the world to see.

In my previous post My War on Cleavage, I quoted a verse from Matthew 5:28. It's a quote from Jesus on adultery and lust. It's a truly important detail in my war. Women need to be aware there are serious consequences when a man looks at them lustfully.

But Jesus didn't just warn us. His next words are pretty doggone strong!

"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown in hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell." Matthew 5:27-30

Gouge out your eye?!

Cut off your hand?!


YIKES!

Is Jesus serious here?

In many ways, YES! I believe He is! Jesus absolutely knows that our bodies will not last forever, but our souls will. What is losing an eye or a hand compared to losing your eternal soul?

Does Jesus truly want us to gouge out our eyes though??

I don't think so. He would much rather we kept both our eyes on Him.

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith..." Hebrews 12:2

2 Corinthians 4:18 says, "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

He knows we will need our eyes to see Him when He comes back, as Revelation 1:7 says: "Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him."

I don't think Jesus was being flippant when he spoke of gouging out our eyes, because He is the Creator of our eyes. He knows how important they are to us. But He also understands our sinful ways. He knows people are going to abuse the special gift of sight by allowing their eyes to feast on all kinds of stuff they shouldn't.

You've probably heard the phrase "the eye is the window to the soul." Though that exact phrase isn't biblical, Jesus did say in Matthew 6:22, "The eye is the lamp of the body." Whatever your eyes take in will determine whether your heart is filled with light or darkness.

Personally, I don't want to gouge out an eye or cut off a hand. I think it'd be a whole heck of a lot easier to keep 'em in check, doin' what they're supposed to do and not what'll get me in trouble!

I like my eyes and hands, thank you very much!

No comments: