Tuesday, July 26, 2011

All You Who Are Weary

I admit it. I'm weary. Truly, no-doubt-about-it, down-to-the-bone weary. The dictionary defines "weary" as being physcially or mentally fatigued. I am the latter of the two. Mentally fatiqued about sums me up these days. Too much life going on for me to handle well. The economy. Job stress. Gas prices. Car insurance. The Texas drought. The Texas heat. Getting both boys ready for college. Financial aid paperwork. Worry over the ENORMOUS debt they are incurring. On and on.

I'm weary. How about you?

Jesus knew we'd come to this point in life. Not only is He God and knows everything there is to know about us, but He also lived on earth as a man. I'm sure He experienced weariness. I would imagine that not only did He experience physical weariness from long days working in his family's business and home, but I think He probably experienced mental weariness too. The sin all around Him must have brought him low at times. Jesus is God and God is Jesus. Many Old Testament passages reveal God's weariness and disappointment with the sin of mankind.

But Jesus didn't want to leave us stuck in our weariness. In Matthew 11:28-30 He tells us what to do when we are so low we can't get up:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

{{{Huge sigh of relief}}}

I need that rest! My soul needs that rest. Life is simply too hard to tackle alone. People--even the people you love the most--will let you down. Spouses. Bosses. Friends. Family. They all have burdens of their own to carry, so turning to others to help you carry yours isn't the solution. Yes, they can offer advice and sympathy, but they can't carry your burden for you. What we need is supernatural rest. Supernatural peace. The kind that ONLY comes from God!

Paul wrote about that peace in Philippians 4:6-7:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

Jesus is the answer to our weariness. He holds the rest and the peace our souls long for. It's not always easy to let go and trust God, especially when so many of lifes problems weigh us down. I know. I'm right there with you. But I am determined to follow Jesus' instructions:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened."



No comments: