Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Why We Need Living Water

Here in Texas we are experiencing the worst drought in recorded state history. At this writing we haven't had significant rain since 2010. Today's high of 105 degrees will mark 69 days of tripple digit temperatures and tie the record set in 1925. Things are dying. Our yard looks awful. Dead, crunchy lawn instead of lush green grass. Droopy trees dropping their dried up leaves. No flowers to speak of. Wild animals are having an especially hard time finding water. Rivers and lakes are drying up. Lake Travis is less than 50% full. Even wells are drying up. Several small towns have completely run out of water. It's sad and scary. A severe drought really makes you realize how much we need water!! That wonderful, wet commodity we all take for granted most of the time.

Texas' drought reminds me of a person who does not know Jesus Christ as their Savior.

Why?

Because we humans need Water. Living Water. Let me share some scripture to explain.

In John 4:1-26, we find Jesus traveling. He's tired and thirsty so he stops at Jacob's well in Samaria. Now, good Jews like Jesus weren't supposed to associate with Samaritans, but when a woman arrives at the well, Jesus asks her for a drink of water. She is suprised he speaks to her at all. His words to her are important:

"If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." (v. 10)

The woman thinks he's speaking of regular ol' water. She hasn't got a clue who Jesus is and doesn't understand what He means when he says, "Everyone who drinks this water [from the well] will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (v. 13-14)

That kind of water can't come out of your faucet and you can't buy it in a bottle. It doesn't even come down from heaven in a cloud. Notice that Jesus said "I give" when speaking of this water.

So where can you find Living Water?

Jeremiah 2:13 answers this question.

"My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water."

God is the spring of living water!

"Then the angel showed me [John] the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life..." (Revelation 22:1-2)

"If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." (Jesus in John 7:37-38)

The parched Texas landscape is crying out for water, but I sincerely believe the need for Living Water is far, far greater. There are too many dried up souls in need of it. The Samaritan woman at the well drank of the Living Water that day. She went back to her town and told everyone she knew--and probably some she didn't know--everything Jesus had said to her. (John 4:39-42) I imagine her entire life changed that day!

Are you thirsty? Is your soul dried up and parched? Does you spirit feel like a desert?

I know where you can get some Water! Some Living Water so you'll never thirst again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This week's Prayer "Shout Out" countries are:
USA, Germany, Ukraine, Australia, Spain, Ghana, Hungary, Israel, South Korea and Lithuania

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanna read a story of mine and see what you think?

Michelle Shocklee said...

Hi Anonymous,
Glad you stopped by the blog. I'm honored that you would want to share some of your writing with me. However I'd need to know more about it. Go to my web site and send me an email via the Contact Me button with more information (subject matter, length, etc) and we'll go from there. Please do not attach anything at this point as I don't open attachments from folks I don't know. I'd also like to know who you are. =)
Blessings,
Michelle Shocklee

Michelle Shocklee said...

BTW, if you, Anonymous, are my regular Anonymous poster, then yes, I'd love to read it. You already have my home email so send it there.
~Michelle