Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Father of Lies

There are some things that simply cannot be ignored. One being the fact--the FACT!--that we have an enemy in this world. His name is Satan. The Devil. What you believe about him will put you in one of two categories:

1. Winning Warriors.
2. Vulnerable Victims.

I refuse to be a victim!


Jesus has known Satan from the very beginning of time. If you understand that Jesus is God and God is Jesus, then you also understand that Jesus created Satan. But God didn't create Satan for evil. Satan chose it. He was given the same freewill that you and I have. Satan willingly gave up his place in heaven because he was jealous and wanted all the glory that is given to God for himself. He took a bunch of misguided angels with him and now he's trying to take as many of us down as he possibly can.

Why?

To spite God. To outdo God. To say, "Haha, God, you lost that one!"

(See Isaiah 14:12-14 and Ezekiel 28:11-19 for further reference)

How do we know Satan is for real?    


Well, first and foremost, Jesus himself spoke of Satan.

"I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven." Luke 10:18

When speaking to the Pharisees in John 8:42-47, Jesus said:

"Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."


Satan has been telling us lies since Adam and Eve lived in the Garden. What makes us think he isn't still telling us lies today?! It's arrogance on our part to believe we are somehow smarter and more enlightened these days to the point that we can't be deceived by Satan. That is utter foolishness! (Titus 3:3)


Job 1 and 2 gives us a chilling account of what Satan is up to every single day:

"One day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with them. The Lord said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the Lord, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it." (1:6-7; also 2:1-2)


Paul says in Ephesians 6:12 to "Put on the armor of God so that you can take a stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."


Peter warned us in 1 Peter 5:8, "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith..."


When we go up against Satan, he gets mad. Recently I've experienced some of his attempts to derail me from what I firmly believe God has called me to do. Next week I'll begin leading a ministry at church that I know Satan isn't happy about. I know he'll try to mess with me and my family because of it. But I cannot and will not let that stop me. Like the little saying I have posted on my blog's sidebar says, I want to "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil says, 'Oh crap! She's up!'"


So, what's it gonna be? Winning Warriors with Jesus and Truth on our side or Vulnerable Victims with Satan and his many, many lies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This week's Prayer Shout-Out countries are:
USA, UK, France, India, Netherlands, Australia

No comments: