Friday, October 19, 2012

Waiting

I am not a patient person.

I am a nice person. I am an honest person. I am a dependable person. I am kind to kids, older folks and animals. I even hate it when I have to squish a spider that should'a stayed outside. I try to do something nice for a stranger every day, whether they know it or not.

But I have a major flaw. I am not patient. I hate waiting. For anything. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I despise waiting!

As a kid, I wouldn't wait for Christmas Day. I'd sneak into my parents closet weeks before the holiday and snoop until I discovered my presents. Yeah, I know. Not cool. As a young dating adult, I was impatient to get married. Hubby, on the other hand, took his sweet time asking. A few years later, I was anxious to be a mother. Again, I had to wait far longer than I imagined. These days I'm waiting to hear back from publishers on book proposals my agent has out with them, growing increasingly aware that things don't happen real fast in the publishing world when you are an unknown author. Sigh. Life seems to be full of "hurry up and wait" moments.

You would think that as I've grown older, and supposedly wiser, waiting would come easier. Newsflash: It doesn't. Not for me, anyway.

So, I guess the best thing to do in times like this is to learn to wait effectively. Don't waste the time you must wait for something by worrying, wondering, fretting or tapping your fingers with increasing impatience. Be hopeful. Stay positive. Keep upbeat. And understand that there is purpose in the waiting. And lessons. So many, many lessons to be learned!

Psalm 5:3 says it perfectly, I think:

"In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." 

Yep. From now on I'm gonna wait with ex-pec-tation for all God has planned!

And I promise I won't snoop for Christmas presents ever again!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This week's Prayer Shout Out countries are:
USA, United Kingdom, Russia, Germany, Philippines, Canada, Finland, France, Indonesia

No comments: