Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Unsearchable Things

Search engines are my friend. I love that I can type in just about any question or subject and get an answer or information within moments. Sometimes I miss the days when a trip to the library was a necessary event if I needed to do some research or wanted information on a topic that interested me. But I must admit the convenience and the vastness of the information on the Internet amazes and thrills me daily.

So it makes sense that a phrase I read in Jeremiah the other day would stop me in my happy tracks:

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." Jeremiah 33:3

That is the LORD speaking to Jeremiah. Jeremiah was a prophet of God in the days leading up to and during the years Jerusalem was attacked by King Nebuchadnezzar. God's warnings through Jeremiah were ignored by the people of Judah and they suffered because of it. Many lost their lives, their homes, their families. Some, like Daniel, were taken into captivity to Babylon, while others rotted in prisons. Ultimately, the beautiful temple and the City of David were destroyed, all because of the disobedience of God's chosen people.

Yet in the midst of all the turmoil and uncertainty, God tells Jeremiah something utterly amazing. Not only about what can happen when someone is obedient to God, but about God himself. He promises to reveal "unsearchable things" to Jeremiah.

Unsearchable things.

I don't know about you, but those two words absolutely, positively hold me captive! Think about it. There are things about God and about the world and about who knows what that are unsearchable. No earthly search engine created by man knows these things! No library has a book on them. Only God knows them and he's willing to reveal them to Jeremiah. All Jer has to do is ask!

If you look up the word unsearchable, this is the definition you find: "Not capable of being searched or explored." Understand those first two words: Not. Capable. The things that God wanted to reveal to Jeremiah were things that he as a human was not capable of knowing on his own. They were not something he could search for either, because, as we see at the end of that verse, they were things he didn't know. And remember, Jeremiah wasn't an ordinary guy. He was God's prophet. God spoke to and through Jeremiah. If anyone would have known these unsearchable things, it would have been Jeremiah.

Is your mind whirling, wondering what these unsearchable things could be?

Isaiah 40:33 (ESV) says God's "understanding is unsearchable."

David tells us in Psalm 145:3 (ESV) that God's "greatness is unsearchable."

Job said the number of God's years was unsearchable and that we "know him not."

And Paul writes in Romans 11:33 (ESV): "Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and unfathomable his ways."

God had a message for the people of Judah and he needed Jeremiah to understand it. I think God has messages for people today, too. His promise to reveal unsearchable things was made to Jeremiah, but I believe God actively wants to reveal himself to us in the same way. Sending his Son Jesus into the world is evidence that God wants a personal relationship with each of us. His Spirit is as close as our breath when we put our faith in Christ.

I, for one, want to know and experience everything God wants to reveal to me, including unsearchable things.

You?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This week's Prayer Shout-Out countries are:
USA, Ukraine, China, France, Greece, Indonesia, Russia, Nigeria, Turkey, United Kingdom, Brazil, Germany


2 comments:

Betty said...

The thing I think of is that I don't even have the questions to ask to get the answers. These are hidden things and are available for me to know. Jesus calls us His friends and says He has revealed to us everything the Father has revealed to Him. Yikes! That's a powerful amount of info. It opens my mind to an amazing world. BUT....I must seek Him with all my heart....if I am to see the wonders He wants to show me.

Michelle Shocklee said...

Exactly, Betty! Thanks for sharing your wisdom.