Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Some thoughts on Obedience...

As a parent, I want my kids to be obedient. I want them to listen to me when I speak, acknowledge that I might know a thing or two that they don't, and I want them to obey me when I tell them to do (or not do) something.

Sounds simple, right?

My daily devotional this morning came from 1 Samuel 1-3. It's the story of Hannah, Eli and Samuel. It's also a story of obedience vs. disobedience. Hannah, bless her heart, gave up the baby she'd waited years for because of obedience. God looked on that with much favor, because not only did he bless the baby, Samuel, he gave Hannah five more kids! (Umm, I'm glad that was HER blessing and not mine!! Yikes!!)

But as for Eli...well, he was disobedient and paid the price for it. His family was cursed because he allowed his sons to dishonor God. Why didn't Eli just obey God? For that matter, why didn't his sons? They all knew God and they all knew what God expected of them.

It's definitely a lesson to take to heart: Obey God and be blessed. Disobey and suffer the consequences. Like any parent, God wants obedience from his children. Not because he's some kind of over-bearing Father, but because he loves us and knows a whole lot more than we do! I find it rather ridiculous when people question God, as though he doesn't know as much as they do.

My deepest desire is to be completely obedient. How do I plan to do this? I'm going to listen to my Father! After all, Father knows best!

No comments: