Friday, February 6, 2009

Life in Narnia...


I watched The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe last night with my kids. We've seen it before at the theater, but it's been a while. I. LOVE. THAT. MOVIE!! I'm ashamed to admit I've never read any of the books. I own them, but alas, they've not been too high on my reading list. (I have a stack of books I need to read, but there just aren't enough hours in the day!!)

Why do I love The Chronicles of Narnia?

First, it's a wonderful story of adventure! Who wouldn't want to escape into the secret world of Narnia through the back of a wardrobe and become a Queen or King??

Second, however, is the more important reason of why I love it. This book/movie is an allegory of the Story of Christ. I cry and cry when Aslan is slain by the Evil White Witch. The image of all her evil associates cheering her on sends chills up my spine. I'm certain every demon cheered just like that when Jesus was nailed to the cross. Aslan, like our Savior Jesus, willingly gave his life for the sins of another.

And aren't we all a bit like Edmund? We've all made choices we wish we hadn't. We've all been tricked by the Evil One into doing things we knew were wrong but did them anyway. But like Aslan said about Edmund's betrayal, "What's done is done. There is no need to talk about it any further."

I love to watch the battle in the end between Good and Evil. I thrill at knowing that one day I will be in that very battle!! Jesus will slay Satan and he will be thrown into the lake of fire forever along with all his evil minions. Oh, how I will dance on that wonderful day!!

If you haven't watched that movie in a while, do! And you know what? I think I'll read the book this weekend!

No comments: