Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A perfect life???

Someone once told me they thought my life was perfect.

"MY LIFE?! You're kidding, right?"

I have news for that person. My life is far from perfect! No one can walk this earth and live a perfect life. It just isn't possible. Sure, some people may give the impression of a perfect, carefree life, but don't be fooled. Everyone experiences problems. Everyone experiences pain. Everyone experiences sin. It's just a fact of living in this world.

But the very idea that this person, whom I'd known for several years but wasn't very close with, thought that my life was perfect made me think about it. Why would she think that? I suppose on the outside, it did look pretty good. I was married, seemingly happily, with two healthy kids. We live a comfortable lifestyle. We have a good number of friends and enjoy spending time with them. So, yeah, everything seemed hunky dory.

But was this a true picture of my life? Yes and no. All of the above was/is true. Yet look a little deeper and you'll see the cracks. The flaws.

Though we've been married 22 years this April, Brian and I have had our share of marital problems. You simply can't avoid them, in my opinion. When two completely separate lives come together to form one, you're gonna have some tug-a-war moments. You're gonna have some unmet expectations. You're gonna have problems. Does that mean you married the wrong person? Nope. Does that mean you should get a divorce? Nope. It just means you have to work that much harder to make the marriage work!

Now, I know this will come as a shock to you, but my kids aren't perfect either. Nope. They've put us through the same joys and miseries as your kids. Like I said in my post on my son's 18th birthday (Feb. 12), raising kids is far, far harder than I ever dreamed!! I've had some really ugly "Mommy" moments and they've had some really ugly kid moments. We've all had to say we're sorry over the years. But we're a family, so we work through the difficulties and enjoy the fun, peaceful times.

I'm also NOT a perfect Christian. I'm not going to air all my sins here, but suffice it to say they are no different than yours. I've had to learn hard lessons from mistakes and bad choices just like everyone else.

Thankfully, we have a Savior who IS perfect!! Jesus Christ! He is the one who makes me seem "perfect." Without Him...well, let's just say you probably wouldn't like me! I know I wouldn't like myself. If you don't have Jesus in your life today, it's not too late. He can make your life seem perfect, if only because He is. He can take all the yucky, icky stuff and transform it into something good. That's what He's done for me. I am living proof that Jesus can take a very imperfect person and bring out the best qualities for all to see.

Well, I guess I better get back to my "perfect" life. ;) Enjoy yours!

No comments: