Friday, March 6, 2009

Some thoughts on Charles Darwin...

The world recently recognized Charles Darwin's 200th birthday. He was born on February 12, 1809. Funny, February 12th is also Abraham Lincoln's birthday. Two completely different men of history who left two completely different legacies.

Obviously, as a person who believes in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, I don't buy Charles Darwin's theories of evolution. Maybe his ancestors are apes, but mine ain't!! My family history is recorded in the Bible, beginning in Genesis 2.

Interestingly enough, Darwin was a "Christian" at one time. I put Christian in quotes because he was not a Christ-follower in the truest meaning of the word from what I gather. He supposedly believed in God in his earlier years, but in his own words from his autobiography, he does not think that "the religious sentiment was ever strongly developed in me."

Hmm. That's an understatement if ever there was one! "Religious sentiment" isn't what makes one a Christian anyway. It's the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ! It's the relationship one has with our Creator. It's the admission that I am a sinner and the only way I can be saved is through the power and the blood of Jesus Christ, who took my punishment even though he didn't have to. "Sentiment" has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

And therein lies Darwin's problem. Charles Darwin knew about God--as many scholars do--but he didn't know the Savior! Here is a quote that speaks for itself:

In my Journal I wrote that whilst standing in the midst of the grandeur of a Brazilian forest, 'it is not possible to give an adequate idea of the higher feelings of wonder, admiration, and devotion which fill and elevate the mind.' I well remember my conviction that there is more in man than the mere breath of his body. But now the grandest scenes would not cause any such convictions and feelings to rise in my mind. It may be truly said that I am like a man who has become colour-blind, and the universal belief by men of the existence of redness makes my present loss of perception of not the least value as evidence. (Excerpt from Charles Darwin's autobiography.)

I think that is probably the saddest thing I've ever read. Darwin is basically saying that while he once believed in the existence of God, the mighty awesome power of a Creator God, and God's Holy presence within man, he later gave up that conviction. He was blinded, all right. Blinded from seeing the Truth right in front of his face.

Here's what it all boils down to:

If Darwin is right, then I and those like me are fools, but I suffer no loss other than being wrong.

If Darwin is wrong, however, then he and the millions like him have given up their one shot at Eternal Life with God!

That is a price that is far, far too high to pay to be wrong!!

No comments: