Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thank you, Miss California...

...for standing for what you believe, no matter what.

If you haven't heard about the Miss USA pageant uproar, let me recap. Miss California, Carrie Prejean, was asked a question regarding gay marriage in America. She answered from her heart, from what she believes, with no malice meant toward anyone who believes otherwise.

Her answer lost her the crown of Miss USA.

As a Bible-believing Christian, I agree with Carrie's answer. I believe marriage, as it was given to us by God himself in Genesis 2, is between one man and one woman. We humans, however, have been challenging that ever since.

I happen to know and love someone who is gay. My hearts desire is that he will live a happy life, yet I strongly disagree with him about gay marriage. I know he thinks I'm wrong. He knows I think he's wrong. But I still love him very much and hope the same from him. Just because people disagree doesn't mean you have to hate the other person. You don't need to call them names. I fully understand the passions involved in the gay marriage issue. I would feel the same way if someone made it against the law for me to marry the person I love. Yet, for those of us who believe God is THE authority on this matter, we have to stick to what he has shown us in his Word, and that means no gay marriage. It's not about hating gays or control or anything that we're accused of. It's about God and obeying Him. Period.

Miss California has a mind and a heart of her own. She has her own thoughts and her own beliefs. Isn't that what being an American is? Isn't that what being a Human is?? Why then, has she been punished by Perez Hilton for giving what he describes as "the wrong answer" to his question? According to Hilton himself, had she given a middle-of-the-road answer he would have scored her higher and she probably would have won the competition. But instead, she, a Christian, stood up for what she believed.

Good for you, Miss California! Good for you, Carrie!

There is coming a day when every single one of us will have to stand accountable for what we did or didn't do here on earth. The Judge won't be a liberal blogger with an agenda. It will be God himself. I fully believe Carrie Prejean, who was not ashamed to speak the truth, will hear these beloved words--words I long to hear myself-- on that day:

"Well done, good and faithful servant."

Watch the TODAY interview yourself here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are wrong, and Miss California is a ditz.

Said Miss California: "I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. But in my country, and in my family, I think that I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman."

Miss C. says that it's great that Americans can choose same-sex or "opposite" marriage, but "in my country" they can't. So apparently Americans are not from Miss California's "country" (wherever that is). So what country is Miss C. actually from? Can she find it on a map? The scandal is not Miss C's opinion on gay marriage. The scandal is that Miss C. thinks that California is a separate country!

Michelle Shocklee said...

Well, "ditz" is far nicer than most are calling her. Thank you for that. Sure, her choice of words was a bit confusing, if we want to pick her brief answer apart, but I doubt she expected that question and it got her rattled. I mean, come on. Perez Hilton asking her that question in Las Vegas! Tell me that ain't Daniel in the lions den!
~Michelle Shocklee

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps we should give Miss C. a lot of leeway. After all, she was in a foreign country--Nevada!

Michelle Shocklee said...

:D

I had to chuckle at that one! You know, the Bible does say we Christians are "aliens and strangers on earth". Heb. 11:13 goes on to say that people of faith are "looking for a country of their own." Sadly, we will never find it here. It's a "heavenly" country (v. 16). Maybe that's the country Miss California was referring to.