Monday, May 11, 2009

Thankful I didn't miss it...

I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day yesterday. I hope everyone told a mother--either their own, their mother-in-law, a motherly figure or the mother of their children--that they were loved and appreciated. I called my Mom and I think, for the briefest of moments, she knew who I was, and that was truly a gift. I told her I loved her and that she was a great mom.

My sweet husband had a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a lovely card for me. And, surprise, surprise, my 18 year old son actually bought me a card for the very first time! Grant it, it's not the first Mother's Day card he's ever given me, and I will always treasure the handmade cards and gifts I've received over the years from my children. But there's just something really special about a teenager making the effort to go to the store, pick out a card, buy it, sign it and leave it where I'll be sure to find it (since he was still in bed when hubby & I left the house). My 16 year old son sought me out shortly after he got out of bed to wish me a "Happy Mother's Day" and give me a hug.

There are just three words to say about all of this.

I am blessed!

Friday I was reminded just how blessed I truly am. My little elderly client loves to watch the "Regis & Kelly" morning show. We usually chat while it's on, but Friday Regis and Kelly were honoring Mom's, so we watched it. One story brought me to tears.

A 34-year old mother of two boys died from cancer. Knowing she would not be there for the important milestones, she planned ahead. She bought key chains for their 16th birthdays. She bought cuff links for their weddings. She had birthday cards and Christmas cards. Even though she knew she was going to die, she was thinking about her kids. About how everyone needs their mom. And even though she can't be with them anymore, she'll always be in their hearts.

The "Regis & Kelly" show fulfilled this mom's wish for an awesome basketball court to be built in their backyard so her boys and husband could enjoy many hours and years of shooting hoops with each other.

This story reminded me how blessed I am to have been able to watch my baby boy's grow into handsome young men. There are still so many things I want to teach them, and there are still so many milestones yet to achieve. As much as I long to go home to heaven, I'm not ready to leave my boys. I think they still need me. I hope they do, anyway.

But I also know that should the Lord take me home, they would not be alone. They have a wonderful father who loves them. They have wonderful grandparents and uncles and aunts and cousins and friends. Most importantly, however, they have Jesus. He promised to never leave us or forsake us, and I know He would honor this Mom's hearts desire to take care of her boys if she couldn't be there for them.

Be thankful for what you've been given.

That's the lesson I learned this Mother's Day!

No comments: