Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!


Happy Mother's Day to all Mom's everywhere!

A mother is something we ALL have in common. It doesn't matter what race, religion, political party or country of birth you claim. One thing is true of us all. We all have a mother. We are all someones child.

My mom, Ann, has Alzheimer's Disease. For the most part, she doesn't know who I am anymore. It's sad, to be sure. But the fact that she can't remember me now doesn't negate the many, many years that she loved me! My mom and dad were not perfect parents--show me a parent who is!-- but they loved all five of us kids very much. One of the most important things my mom did was teach me about Jesus Christ. My mom loved Jesus! And I'm so thankful for that! She truly fulfilled the mandate of Deuteronomy 6:7 where God calls parents to teach our children to love the Lord their God with all their heart, soul and strength.

I'm a mom, too. God has blessed me with two unbelievably wonderful sons! And trust me when I say, I've made plenty of mistakes the past eighteen years!! OY! I don't like to even think about some of the mistakes I've made as a mother. But, like my mom, I've tried my very hardest to teach my children about Jesus Christ and how important it is to live our lives for Him. My hope and prayer is that my kids will look back on their growing up years and say, "Mom made mistakes, but she loved Jesus!"

Today I want to honor my mom, Annabelle Wagner Chaparro. She raised five children to the best of her ability. She loved us all unconditionally. She loved my dad, too, and celebrated 55 years of marriage to him, which was an amazing example of what a marriage should be. She worked as an elementary school teacher for over 20 years. She cared for her elderly mother for ten years after she retired. She taught Sunday School for decades. She hosted backyard Bible schools during the summer for neighbor kids. She loved to garden and shared her bounty with others. She loved animals. She loved her family. She loved the Lord her God with all her mind, soul and strength. And though her disease has stolen the "Mom" I grew up with, I will forever remain thankful she was and is my Mom!

Thank you, Mom, for being the best Mom you could be! Thank you for all the sacrifices you made for me and our family. Thank you for teaching me about Jesus. I was blessed to have you here on earth and I look forward to spending eternity with you!!

No comments: