Friday, June 12, 2009

A time to...


Today was my oldest son's last day at home as a "kid." We move him to Dallas tomorrow to his very first apartment. He'll start school on June 17.

GASP!

Where have the years gone? When did the little boy of yesteryear turn into a man?

God's word is ever helpful in times like this. Instead of starting my Bible reading in Genesis today, I turned instead to Ecclesiastes 3:1-8:

"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace."


God's plan is perfect. There is a time for everything. I thought about my son, Taylor, as I read these verses this morning. There is a time for everything, even for letting go of a precious child who is no longer a child. He's a young man. God has things for Taylor to do that don't include me.

Funny how difficult those words are to write, and yet my heart knows the truth of them. But for the past 18 years, I've been at the center of Taylor's world. It's a bit hard to take knowing that I won't be after tomorrow.

But there is a time for everything. Tomorrow I will...

...uproot...weep...mourn...scatter...embrace...refrain...give up...throw away...be silent...speak...love...hate (leaving him)...

But I'll also have peace. Peace from God above, who is Taylor's Father and Savior and Friend.

Lord, eighteen years ago you blessed us with a beautiful son. When he was but a few weeks old we dedicated him to You, acknowledging that while You allowed us to raise him and love him and enjoy him, he is ultimately Yours. Father, guide Taylor all the days of his life. Speak to him so he can hear your voice. Remind him to walk in your ways always. He is yours.

No comments: