Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Do You Know God?

Do you know God?

There's no question that God knows you. He created you. He formed you in your mother's womb. He knew your name before you did. He knows every thought you think, every word you speak, and every hair on your head.

But do you know God?

Pharaoh did not know God. He even says so in Exodus 5:2. Moses has come to him--in obedience to God--and asked Pharaoh to let the Israelites go because the Lord God has commanded it. Pharaoh responds,

"Who is the Lord, that I should obey him and let Israel go? I do not know the Lord and I will not let Israel go."

I have a notation I wrote a few years ago beside this verse. It says, "Sad!" And it really is. It's sad that Pharaoh wouldn't acknowledge God and clearly didn't want to get to know Him.

I know people like that. There are millions of them out in the world. They have no place in their lives for God. They're busy. They're educated. They're rich. They're poor. They're living life and have no need for God.

I was one of those people a long time ago. I knew about God, like Pharaoh, but I didn't know God, like Moses. There is a difference. A huge difference. A person can know all about God and still not know the God of Heaven, the Creator of all things. But I know God now. We talk every day, quite often in fact. I read His letters to me every morning. I see the blessings He's given me all around. He sent His son to save me from my sins because He loves me so much. And one day in the not-so-distant future I'll go live with God for all eternity.

It's easy to know God. There's nothing difficult or mysterious about it. Pharaoh never did know God.

Do you know Him?

No comments: