Sunday, August 16, 2009

Eagles' Wings and Treasured Possessions....

As I continue my study in the Book of Exodus, I'm amazed by the love and patience God showed the Israelites. I mean, think about it. I'm only on chapter 19 and this is what we've seen already:

1. God heard their groaning in their slavery to Egypt. (Ex. 2:25)
2. God called Moses to rescue His people from Pharaoh. (Ex. 3-12)
3. God provided guidance, protection and provisions for His people. (Ex. 13-16)
4. God promised them a home in a land He would give them. (Ex. 13:5)

You would think that all of the above would be enough to make the Israelites humble and thankful, wouldn't you? So, were they humble and thankful?

Nope.

They grumbled and complained from the moment they left Egypt. "We're gonna die!" "We're hungry!" "We're thirsty!" Waah, waah, waah.

Sound familiar? If not, then you aren't listening to the folks all around you.

Yet God continued to show His mercy and love to them. Just today I read the most beautiful words--a beautiful promise--that God made to them.

"You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself. Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possessions. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation."

WOW!!

What an amazing, beautiful promise!! What an amazing, beautiful God!

Did you know God still wants us to be his treasured possessions? That's why He sent His son, Jesus Christ, to the world to die on a cross. So that you and I and everyone who will believe on Him will not perish but have everlasting life with Him! He'll carry us on eagles' wings, freeing us from sin just as surely as He freed the Israelites from Pharaoh.

Are you one of God's treasured possessions? You can be!

No comments: