Tuesday, August 18, 2009

God's Name...

Have you ever wondered what God's name is?

Is it God? Or is God who He is rather than a name for Him?

Hmmm.

This morning I read Exodus 23:21. God is speaking to Moses and the Israelites:

"Do not rebel against him [the angel God sent to lead the people]; he will not forgive your rebellion, since my Name is in him."

God gave the power of his Name to the angel and warned the people they'd better listen to him or else!

Last night during our family devotions we read the story in Luke where Mary and Joseph have Jesus circumcised:

"On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise him, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he had been conceived." Luke 2:21

The writer of the devotional said Jesus went without a name his first eight days of life. I hadn't thought of it like that before, but in some ways he's right. The birth certificate, if you will, hadn't been filled out yet.

But Jesus did have a name. A beautiful name! A wonderful name! And God already knew it! Jesus had a lot of names, in fact. He was God. He is God. And God has a lot of names!

Here are just a few that deeply touch me when I think of God:

God the Father
God the Creator
God Most High
El Shaddai (God Almighty)
I Am!
Adonai (Lord)
Jehovah (Lord)
Lord my Rock
My Redeemer
Shepherd
Alpha and Omega
Savior
Christ, the Messiah
KING OF KINGS
LORD OF LORDS
Friend
Comforter
Wonderful Counselor
Word of God
Holy Spirit
Spirit of Truth
Truth


God goes by a lot of names. Who is He to you?

No comments: