Friday, August 21, 2009

Where do you meet God?

God gave Moses very specific instructions on how to make the tabernacle and all that would go into it. I'm talking every detail, down to the color of yarn they were to use in sewing the curtains. It's an interesting read and reminds me that God is all about the details. Just look around if you don't agree. Nature. Human life. It's all about the details!

In Exodus 25:10-22 God tells Moses how to make the ark that would later hold the stone tablets God would give him with the commandments written on them. God refers to these tablets as the Testimony (Ex. 25:21). One very specific detail about the ark were the cherubim. A cherubim is, in my limited understanding, a winged creature with a human head and a body of a lion or bull. We're first introduced to cherubim in Genesis 3:24:

"After [God] drove [Adam and Eve] out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life."

God told Moses to have two cherubim crafted from gold and placed on top of the ark, facing each other with their wings lifted upward yet looking at the cover of the ark.

Why so specific?

Because...

"There, above the cover between the two cherubim that are over the ark of the Testimony, I will meet with you and give you all my commands for the Israelites." Ex. 25:22

God still wants to meet with us, just as He wanted to meet with Moses.

In Matthew 6:5-15 Jesus gave us instructions on how to meet with God. Verse 6 says:

"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

I also like the way The Message Bible paraphrases this verse:

"Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace."

I love my quiet time with God. I don't have the ark and the cherubim or the tabernacle, but that doesn't matter. Every morning, while the house is still, I close the door to my room, sit in my favorite chair where all my Bibles and devotionals are within reach, and spend time in God's word. Then I spend time on my knees. On days when I am in a rush, woke up late, or whatever, and I don't do this, I notice it! If God is going to be the center of my day, then I need to start it with Him!

What about you?

Where do you meet God?

If meeting with God on a daily basis isn't one of your habits, you can start today! It is never too late to meet with God!

No comments: