Monday, August 31, 2009

Final thoughts from Exodus...

Well, I finished reading the book of Exodus this morning. Very interesting, to say the least. Sometimes confusing, mainly because I don't have answers to all the WHY questions I have. Like:

WHY did God chose to let the Israelites become slaves in Egypt?
WHY didn't God simply strike down Pharaoh?
WHY did God harden Pharaoh's heart?
WHY did the Israelites whine so much?
WHY were the Israelites so disobedient?
WHY were Moses and Aaron from the Tribe of Levi, but Jesus came from the Tribe of Judah?
WHY? WHY? WHY?

But I also know that I've learned a lot re-reading this book. I've shared some of those lessons here on my Blog. If you didn't catch them, they're under the "Exodus" label.

So, tomorrow I'll dive into Leviticus. Admittedly, that is one of my least favorite books of the Bible to read. Lots of laws. God gave His people a lot of laws! As I was reading through some of the laws listed in Exodus, and then read the specific instructions regarding the Tent of Meeting--how to build it and how to furnish it--I realized one very important thing:

God is a God of order!

Life is evidence of that. Our planet. Our universe. Our bodies. Everything was created with perfect order and perfect purpose. But like the Israelites and their descendants, we tend to forget that and try to do things our way, which usually makes a big mess out of God's perfect order!

I don't have all the answers to my WHY questions. And I'm sure I'll have plenty more by the time I finish Leviticus!! But what I do know is this:

God gave us His word so that we would know Him!

If you're not in a daily Bible study, I encourage you to start today!! Hey, you might even join me in Leviticus! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're such an amazing writer! I have enjoyed reading about your walk through Exodus! You have blessed me by your words.

Miss you and love you, my friend!

Terri