Thursday, August 27, 2009

God can fix what is broken...


I live in fear of accidentally breaking something of value when I'm in the homes of my elderly clients. Some of them own expensive knick-knacks, vases, etc. Other items don't have much monetary value but do hold sentimental value. In the 13 years I've worked in private homes, I have only broken three items--two didn't matter; one sorta did, but not so much that my client was mad. Whew!! (Hardwood floors and/or tiled floors are very unforgiving!!)

Moses broke something of value. We're talking real value! And unlike my accidents, Moses did it on purpose!

He'd been up on the mountain talking to God and received the stone tablets God wrote the commandments on. But because Moses was gone so long, the Israelites gave up on him and had Aaron fashion a god of gold for them to worship. They apparently got pretty boisterous in their revelry over this new god, because THE God told Moses to go down from the mountain and put a stop to it. Moses obeys, and what a terrible sight he beheld when he reached the camp! There is the golden calf, sitting front and center, with the whole Iraelite community worshipping it!!

What did Moses do?

Exodus 32:19 tells us:

"When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces."

OH!! The tablets!! How could he?!

I've been angry enough to break things in my life. I'm not proud of those moments and truly hope I've outgrown that kind of temper-tantrum. I think Moses was probably sorry after the deed was done, too. I mean, those were tablets God himself had written on! (Ex. 31:18) One-of-a-kind, irreplaceable tablets, right?

Wrong.

Instead of gathering up all the pieces of the old tablets and putting it back together like a puzzle, God made new ones.

"The Lord said to Moses, "Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones, and I will write on them the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke." Ex. 34:1

You know what this scripture tells me?

No matter how broken our lives, our spirits, our hearts, our relationships--God can fix it. Just like those broken tablets. He can give us new life, a new spirit, a new heart, healed and new relationships!

Nothing is impossible with God! (Luke 1:37) Trust Him with your broken things. He CAN and WILL fix them!!

No comments: