Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Will Your Blessing Room Be Full or Empty?

A few years ago I read a story about a fictional room in heaven that held all the blessings God wants to give to us. I don't remember the particulars of the story or who wrote it or even where I read it, but it has stayed in my mind nonetheless.

So, as we begin a new year....(Are you angry yet?! See previous blog post if you haven't got a clue why you're supposed to be angry!)...I thought I would share my version of The Blessing Room Story with you, because to me there is nothing sadder than...

Oh! I can't tell you! You'll have to read it for yourself!

Here we go!

Picture heaven in your mind. OK. Nix the clouds and angels with wings (see Angels post on December 23 if you wonder why I'm nixing the wings!). Now picture one of the angels welcoming you into Heaven! Yes! You're ready to par-teeey!...but first he's supposed to take you to your Blessing Room.

"Huh?" you say. "What's a Blessing Room?"

"It's the room where all the blessings God created for you are stored," the angel replies. "Before each human is born, God already has a room full of blessings for them, ready to pour down upon their life every single day they live on earth."

"Wow!" you say as you follow along beside the angel, going down a long hallway full of giant, tall doors. Each door has a name on it. Finally you get to a door that has YOUR name on it!

"Here is your Blessing Room," the angel says as he unlocks the door.

What will be on the other side?

SCENARIO 1:

You open your door....and the room is FULL! There are hundreds and hundreds of wonderful, beautifully wrapped packages all over the place! They're stacked on top of each other, like a great birthday party or Christmas Day. There are some of all shapes and sizes.

"WOW!" you say, excited to see all those gifts with your name on them. "Are all these for me?"

"Yes," the angel says. "They were."

"They were?" you ask, confused. "They all have my name on them. Can't I have them now?"

"No," the angel sadly shakes his head. "These are the blessings you could have had while you lived on earth. It's too late now."

You look at all the pretty presents. "I don't understand. Why didn't I get all of them if they were for me?"

"Because," the angel says matter-of-factly. "You never asked for them."

SCENARIO 2:

You open your door...and the room is empty!

"Hey," you say. "What's up? Why is my Blessing Room empty?"

The angel smiles. "Because you asked God to bless you...and He did!"

Will your Blessing Room be full or empty? It's up to you!

But there's nothing sadder than a full Blessing Room!

No comments: