Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Body is God's Temple

I am not the world's best housekeeper. I'm not the worst either. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I like things neat and orderly. I can't stand clutter. But most days you can write your name in the dust on the furniture or find water spots on the bathroom mirrors.

But when I'm expecting company it's a whole 'nother story!

I am a cleaning fanatic when I know guests are coming! That's when I begin to see things I've ignored. Spider webs in the corners. Dust bunnies under the cedar chest in the hallway. You too?

The Bible tells us that our bodies are God's temple. In Paul's letter to the believers in Corinth, he made that point more than once.

"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?" 1 Corinthians 3:16

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20.

When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior and invite Him into our lives, our bodies become His dwelling place. His Spirit moves in.

So what kind of 'house' are you inviting God to live in? Are there things in your life--habits, people, stuff--you've ignored?

Obviously we've all sinned. We've all made mistakes. We all have dirt. But are you keeping that dirt around, letting it hang out in your heart and clutter things up?

Maybe you need to clean house!

When I know guests are coming, I start getting rid of stuff! Old magazines. Ratty furniture. Dead plants. When we invite God into our lives, we have to get rid of old habits. People that will tempt us to fail. Books, movies, magazines that lead us to sin.

Is your "house" clean and ready for God to move in? If not, what are you waiting for?? Grab a mop and broom (and your Bible!) and get to work!

Your Guest will reward your efforts!

No comments: