Sunday, June 26, 2011

God isn't God without Jesus

Maybe it's because I was raised in the Christian faith, but I often wonder why people bother to believe in God yet have no belief in Jesus. Now, I'm mainly talking about people who believe in the same God I do. (Or at least I think it's the same God.) Muslims believe in Allah, another word for God, but in my opinion their God and my God are not one and the same. Mormons also believe in God, but again, their belief is so radically different from Christianity that their God and my God are not even close to being the same. Scientology, Jehovah's Witness, Unification, etc. They all have God mixed into their religion in some form or fashion. Some people like to say that "all paths lead to God." Well, that is a true statement. Every single person, no matter what path they take in life, will one day stand before the one and only God. The outcome of that meeting, however, is where we will be separated like the sheep and goats that we are. (Matthew 25: 31-33) Don't be fooled into believing that every god is God, because that simply is not true.

My confusion, therefore, is with people who say yes, God exists, and even pray to Him on occasion, but then turn around and say they have no use for Jesus Christ.

Where, I wonder, does their belief come from? Isn't it from the Bible? If the answer to that question is yes, then the next logical question is: If you believe in the God of the Bible, then why don't you believe what the Bible says about Jesus being God's Son? About him being Immanuel, God with us? (Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew 1:23) About our need for him in order to be saved? (Romans 10:9)

There is a danger in believing in God but leaving Jesus out of the picture.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."  John 3:16. Without belief in the Son, the Father cannot give you eternal life.

"No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6. God is not accessible without Jesus.

God himself had this to say about Jesus: "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!" Matthew 17:5

Are you listening?  I am!

In John 10:30 Jesus made it clear who he is: "I and the Father are one."

Folks, here's the bottom line: There is no point to believing in God without believing in Jesus too.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying drop your belief in God! But I am saying if God is all you have, then you need to keep looking! It is through Jesus' death on the cross that we are saved. It is through His resurrection from the dead that we are given life. It is through belief in Him that we will enter heaven!

God is Jesus!

Jesus is God!

Believe and be saved! (Acts 16:31)

No comments: