Friday, March 23, 2012

The Edge of His Cloak

A number of years ago I read a phrase in a Bible story that grabbed hold of me and has never let go. It's found in the New Testament story of the woman with the bleeding issue. She'd had this terrible medical issue for twelve long years. She'd sought help from doctors and healers and had spent all her money trying to get well. Nothing worked.

But one day the most wonderful event happened. JESUS came to town! Large crowds followed him. People with every disease and deformity hurried to him to be healed. This woman, however, didn't have the courage to approach Jesus directly. I imagine she was ashamed of her illness. Maybe she'd been told her sin or those of her parents was the cause of it. Yet despite her lack of boldness and maybe even her shame, she knew Jesus could heal her and she wasn't about to let anything stop her from receiving it.

"Just then a woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak. She said to herself, 'If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed." Matthew 9:20-21

Or in Luke 8:42-44: "As Jesus was on his way, the crowds almost crushed him. A woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years, but no one could heal her. She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped."

That is faith in action, folks!

She wasn't bold, but she was determined.
She wasn't pushy, but she had a mission to accomplish.
She didn't doubt but trusted in the power of God.

Imagine what would happen if more people simply reached out to touch the edge of Jesus' cloak!

I would have thought the woman would be filled with joy once she knew she'd been healed, but Mark 5:33 tells us that "knowing what had happened to her, [the woman] came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the truth."

I'm guessing the poor woman suddenly thought she'd taken something from God without asking. But Jesus didn't see it that way.

"Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering." v. 34

I love, love, love that Jesus referred to her as 'daughter.' And I love, love, love that I am his daughter too! I can reach out and 'touch his cloak' any time I want. And believe me, I have!

If you need healing in any area of your life, I encourage you to reach out to Jesus! Don't let shame or fear keep you away. He promises peace and freedom if you will put your faith in him!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This week's Prayer Shout-Out countries are:
USA, Spain, Brazil, India, Kuwait, Russia, Slovenia, United Kingdom, South Africa, Colombia, Germany

2 comments:

Paula Scott Bicknell said...

Reaching for His cloak today :)Love you!

Michelle Shocklee said...

Me too!! Love you back!
~M.