Thursday, February 20, 2014

Sex Education Gone Too Far

I am horrified. Absolutely, positively horrified. I just read an article about a textbook that is being placed in public schools that has explicit drawings and text that is beyond anything I've ever seen. Please read this article, especially if you are a parent with a child in public school!!

I remember being in elementary school and having a nurse come in and teach a sex ed class. It happened once a year, much to the embarrassment of we 5th and 6th grade girls. I imagine the school folks timed it so girls who would soon begin to menstruate would have a clue what was going on, and for that I'm grateful. Most parents back then didn't discuss sexual and highly personal things like this with their kids, mainly because their parents didn't, and their parents didn't, and so on and so forth. My mother -- bless her -- didn't talk about these things with me. If she did, the conversation must have been so brief that I have totally forgotten it. I vaguely remember her giving me a book geared for children that discussed the different body parts and their functions, but that was it as far as my sex education went.

And I'll be honest. I wish my mother had done more. Gone farther in her conversations with me. Explained things and made me feel comfortable enough to ask the myriad questions kids that age have about sex. She loved the Lord and she loved my dad, so she would have been the perfect teacher to guide me into womanhood and all it entails sexually. Much of what I knew about the mystery of sex and marital intimacies came from friends, movies and books. Which is definitely NOT where you want your child's sex educational foundation to come from. I wish she would have read the Song of Solomon to me, and Genesis 2:24-25 and talked about how beautiful sex is between a man and his wife. How Adam and Eve enjoyed sex in the Garden of Eden before sin entered the world (v. 24). How God blesses the sexual union of a man and wife with pleasure and offspring.

Sadly, now days sex education in the public schools has gotten completely out of control. No longer is it to teach kids the biological functions of their particular parts and the parts of their eventual mate, but it is to indoctrinate them into the worldly view of sex: That sex with many partners is normal. That sex with partners of the same sex is normal. That sex is not a private thing but something that should be splashed on pages of books and magazines and movie screens and Facebook. That sex is not the special, God-ordained union between a man and woman who have pledged themselves to one another, but is more of a recreational sport.

Don't misunderstand me. I am not a prude. I think sex is great! I think the human body is beautiful! Genesis 2:25 says, "Adam and his wife were both naked and felt no shame." There is absolutely nothing shameful or dirty or evil about sex. In the context of God's original plan -- one man and one woman -- sex is truly a gift. It's an expression of love. It's playful. It's sexy (to use a worldly term). Recently I overheard a conversation where an 80ish-year old woman was talking about her amorous Valentine's Day with her 90-year old husband. God bless them, I say! Clearly, you ain't never too old to enjoy God's gift to a husband and wife.

God created us as sexual beings. Not only for pro-creation purposes (Genesis 1:28), but for physical satisfaction and release (1 Corinthians 7:1-4). Unions outside of marriage may accomplish those things as well, but not within the bounds of God's holy blessing. And isn't that the best place to live your life? Within the bounds of God's holy blessing? To choose to have sex outside of marriage is sin. Plain and simple.

There is a real enemy in this world. Jesus called him the "father of lies." (John 8:44). I imagine he is thrilled with the textbook in this article. He is lying to our children and our grandchildren. He is lying to adults who don't see anything wrong with sex outside of marriage. Don't buy it! His lies lead to death. The death of your body. The death of your soul. Sexually transmitted diseases. Abortion. Divorce. Immorality. The list goes on and on.

This textbook may not seem so bad to some. But where is the line drawn? I'm here to tell you...

Sex education has gone too far.

No comments: