Friday, May 1, 2009

It's not about you...

An interesting thought came to me this morning as I had my Bible reading/devotion time. I was thinking about my post yesterday and how being a Christian is so much more than rule-following or showing up at a building on Sunday morning. If you clicked on the link I provided and listened to "Revelation Song" then hopefully you understand that my being a Christian is all about Jesus and worshipping Him. That is the motivation behind everything I do, say or think.

So, I want to say this to all those out there who disagree with my life and the way I live it:

"IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!"

I don't say that with any antagonism or spite in my voice or in my heart. It is simply the honest-to-goodness truth. My Christian life is not about you.

My position against abortion is not about you!
My position against gay marriage and homosexuality in general is not about you!
My position that other religions---like Muslim, Buddhist, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, etc.---won't lead you to heaven is not about you!

I have no hatred toward anyone who believes I'm wrong. I have no personal vendetta or agenda against any one individual or group. I am truly sorry if my beliefs make someone angry with me. I truly am. It is never my intent to offend people. I'm more of a people-pleaser than someone who wants to antagonize anyone.

BUT...

I will never, ever, never, ever try to please man by going against my God. NEVER! I will never change my position on certain things to make someone like me more or to avoid ruffling feathers. And though I have friends and loved ones who have different beliefs than I do, I won't change mine, despite my deep love and affection for them.

My life as a Christian has been a journey. I started out believing in Jesus because that was all I knew. My parents were Christians, so therefore I was, too. But eventually we all have to make our own decisions. We all have to come to our own understanding of who God is and what He means to us personally. I did that at the age of 28. I was not swayed by my parents faith. I did not blindly accept the Bible as truth. I did what God tells us to do in Jeremiah 29:13:

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

I sought Him and I found Him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this.

Jesus is my Lord, my guide, my everything.

It's truly not about you.

No comments: