Monday, January 3, 2011

My New Year's Resolution: To Be Still

I am not big on New Year's resolutions. Probably because I don't keep them. If I'd stayed on any of the January 1st diets I've started I'd be a size 3. If I'd walked every day of every year I said I was going to, I'd have walked around the world by now. You get the picture. I'm sure I'm not alone.

So this year my "resolution" if you wanna call it that is very simple:

To be still.

Simple, huh?

I'm not a "go get 'em" type of person. I'm not always on the move, so I don't mean that I want to just park some where and sit still. It's more of a state of being still inside myself. A spiritual stillness, if you will.

Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God."

I think sometimes our busyness of mind, body and spirit get in the way of our knowing God. If my body isn't going somewhere, my mind is whirling. There's a lot to figure out in this life, especially if you're married, have a job, have kids, etc. Even all the "conveniences" of life---computers, cell phones, TV's---all those things that are supposed to make life easier create more busyness.

So this year I just want to be still. I don't want to miss God in the busyness of life. I don't want to neglect God in the busyness of life. I want to hear His voice and feel His presence in the stillness. I want to know that I'm on the same page as God. Things I'm certain I can't do if I'm too busy with life.

"Be still," God said.

I'm gonna try!

7 comments:

Lynda Lee Schab said...

Oh, wow, girlfriend. We are on the same page. You'll have to check out #6 on my "Goals" post from today. We can "Be Still" together. :-)

Hope you had a fabulous holiday. We'll have to catch up one of these days.

Lynda Lee Schab said...

I meant #7, not #6 on my list. LoL

Anita said...

Great post and one of my favorite Bible verses.

Michelle Shocklee said...

Happy New Year, Lynda! Great goals! Yes, let's "be still" this year. God has wonderful plans for us AND our writing!

Hugs to you!!
~Michelle

Michelle Shocklee said...

Thanks, Anita! It's one of my fav's too! Hope 2011 is a great year for you and yours!

Blessings,
~Michelle

Unknown said...

I pray for the strength in that for you! It can soo soo soo often be so hard to do that especially when this crazy hectic world is wrapping it's arms around us and dragging us with it.

Have a Great New Years!
-josh

Michelle Shocklee said...

Happy New Year to you too, Josh! I peek in on you from time to time and smile every time I see the pic of you and the lovely woman God brought into your life. He is sooo good to us, isn't He? The enemy can't win when God is on our side!!

I pray God's richest blessings on you and yours in 2011! And don't forget to be still! ;)

Blessings,
~Michelle