Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Not Our Home

I will attend a funeral this afternoon. The 43-year-old daughter of a family we've known for 30 years was killed in a tragic car accident last week. Rachel was a teenager the first time I met her. She was in high school and was visiting the college I attended, staying in our dorm with friends. As an adult, Rachel made life-choices that went against her Christian upbringing and brought a lot of pain and grief to her family. She's been on my prayer list for years and it broke my heart to cross out her name. I don't know where Rachel will spend eternity. I didn't know what was inside her heart, but God did. The Bible says in 1 Samuel 16:7: "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." My deepest prayer is that Rachel loved the Lord and His mercy will cover her for all eternity.

The little 9-year-old girl who was killed in the horrific shooting in Arizona Saturday will be buried tomorrow. Christina was a beautiful child and its heartbreaking to think of her family losing her at such a young age. I have no doubts that she is resting in the arms of our Savior. "Let the little children come unto me," Jesus said in Mark 10:14. He goes on to say that "the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

As tragic as these deaths are to the loved ones left behind, death will come to us all in one form or fashion. Every single one of us will die. This world was never intended as our permanent home. Paul tells us in Philippians 3:20 that "our citizenship is in heaven." But lest you believe everyone will go to heaven, remember what Jesus said in John 14:6: "No one comes to the Father but through Me." You must acknowledge Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior if you want to spend eternity with God. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, then you are included in Jesus' words to the thief on the cross in Luke 23:43: "TODAY you will be with me in paradise." The thief's body was dying but his spirit was headed to heaven.

When the day comes that your heart will stop beating, your lungs will not draw breath, your blood will run cold...on that day, don't you want to be assured that your spirit will live on in paradise?

You can! There is no reason to fear death when you know Jesus as your Lord and King! If you aren't sure where you will spend eternity, please contact me. It would be my honor to pray for you. Salvation and eternal certainty are a breath away.

(For more information on what happens after we die, scroll down to Post #15 in my "Revelation" category titled "The Dead are Judged.")

No comments: