Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sarah Palin, the tragedy and my humble opinion

My thoughts have been with the family of 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green today as they said good-bye to the pretty brown-eyed girl. The families of the other victims in the Arizona shooting are also mourning and burying their loved ones. Such a senseless, horrible tragedy.

I was surprised, as a lot of people were, when I learned that many people in the media and in politics were quick to place the blame for the shooting on the Republicans, the Tea Party, and anyone else who doesn't agree with their 'side'. So far, nothing I've heard about the shooter, whose name I will not type here, has led me to believe his crime was politically motivated. If Congresswoman Gifford had been the only victim, I could be convinced. But not when he kept shooting people, including little Christina. It is very obvious to anyone with a brain that the shooter was mentally disturbed and unbalanced. I will even go so far as to say he is spiritually disturbed and unbalanced. The crime was heinous and evil.

Sarah Palin has also been blamed by some, mainly due to her 'target' map of Arizona during the election. I like Sarah Palin. I think she's a good person who really does love this country. Should she be president? No, not in my humble opinion, but I do think she has the potential to do a lot of good in other areas.

Today, Sarah is being criticized for using the term 'blood libel' in her 7 minute, 43 second speech about the tragedy. The term is historically used as an antisemitic reference to the accusation that Jews use the blood of Christian children in their sacrifices. Obviously that is not what Sarah meant. Others have used the term in contemporary writings that also were not about Jews or sacrifices. When I read the criticism of Sarah's use of it, I had to roll my eyes. Did they not listen to the other 7 minutes and 42 seconds of her speech where she shared her heart, her hopes, her love of country? Can't people stop looking for something to criticize and start listening? Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they don't have something worthy to say.

Because I'm irked about the criticism of Sarah Palin, I'm posting the video clip in its entirety. Sarah doesn't need me to defend her and I'm not. I'm just really tired of people too full of themselves and too blinded by their own so-called brilliance that they can't just be quiet and listen for a change. Really listen.

So there's my one political post for the year. ;)

Sarah Palin: "America's Enduring Strength" from Sarah Palin on Vimeo.

No comments: